Be committed, Be consistent, Get Connected
At FITMOM, we recognize how challenging it can be to settle into a fitness routine when we’re also learning how to navigate the demands of pregnancy, recovery from birth and parenting a new baby. As we head into the darker months (we adjust the clocks this weekend!), it can become even more of a challenge to connect with others and get out the door to classes we’ve scheduled. We know it’s always easier to choose to stay at home and snuggle in bed, but there are benefits to getting out the door and making time to get some exercise! At FITMOM, we want to help you be even more successful, so we’re inviting you to join our classes and be entered into our draw each time you attend between November 1st-30th! Four winners will be randomly selected to win a$25 gift card to Starbucks (so you can stop by for a treat after class!).
1. Preparing to get out of the house is hard to do. Practice makes it easier. We encourage you to spend a few minutes the night before gathering the items you’ll need. This makes getting out the door feel less overwhelming. Don’t worry if you forget something! There’s always a friendly FITMOM member can hook you up if you’re ever in need of an emergency diaper, wipe or even an extra onesie!
2. Regular attendance improves stamina. The first few times are always the hardest. Keep coming! We promise, it will get easier!
3. Being consistent with your class attendance will help reduce the likelihood of injury. Pregnancy and postpartum changes to your body (especially hormonal!) contribute to joint laxity. Using light weights and body weight exercises will help you build muscle strength to better support your joints and ligaments and improve stability so that you’re less likely to injure yourself.
4. Connecting with other people helps us feel happy and reduces feelings of isolation.Motherhood can feel really lonely! Connecting with others who are also in the same stage of life makes the monotony of motherhood more manageable.
5. It feels good to follow through on commitments. You may not realize it, but you’re currently working through the Transtheoretical Stages of Change. You’ve already moved through the first two phases (pre-contemplation and contemplation) because you’ve already found FITMOM and have maybe even made it to a couple of classes. Right now, you’re probably in the Planning/ActionPhase where you’re working on getting to a class, figuring out the schedule and starting to increase your activity. This is a great place to be. You’re building a strong foundation towards a lifestyle that prioritizes exercise and daily movement 🙂
To help with your commitment and follow through write out the classes you plan to attend in your calendar and try your best to stick to it. Be prepared for some obstacles and pick a second class you could attend each week in case you have to shuffle your calendar because, after all, life happens!